Monday, August 01, 2005

Drive-Up Shootings May Soon Replace Drive-By Shootings...

The phrase "customer service" makes me laugh. Mainly because the idea behind it has nearly disappeared completely from the consumer-merchant relationship. Almost daily do I encounter an incidence of atrocious customer service. Today was no exception.

In my daily routine of attempting to perform a multitude of tasks during my lunch hour, I stopped by a local McDonald's restaurant to grab a quick lunch on the go. McDonald's has just launched their new "Premium Chicken Sandwiches," and I thought I would roll the dice and give one a try. My first mistake.

I pulled up to the drive-up menu and was welcomed with the standard "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?" I then asked, "Could you please tell me what's on the new chicken club sandwich?"

"I don't know," was her reply. So I waited...assuming she would have the brain cells to ask a nearby co-worker or manager. After about 15 seconds, I hear "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?"

Astonished, I said, "I'm waiting to find out what's on the new chicken club sandwich..." To which she replied, "I don't know... It's my first day back."

At this point, I snapped out a quick, "I think I'll go somewhere else where they know what they're doing." "Okay. Fine," was her retort.

So, I cannot tell you what the new premium chicken sandwiches taste like. Nor will I bother to venture back to a McDonald's for some time to come. Not that my one-man boycott will make a bit of difference, but nevertheless...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain! Last Saturday night I stopped at Captain D's on New Circle for a very late dinner. There were 4 cars ahead of me, but I had a book I was reading, so I figured I'd wait. I finally get up to the ordering device (after a good 15 minutes) and I hear. " Hold on". Not "please hold on" or anything curteous. So I start reading my book again, after glancing at the clock. I waited another 15 minutes without a word from inside, and believe I tried talking a couple of times. I finally drive around and went in. I got waited on inside and back out and the same person was at the window. I made a comment while I was inside to the lady that waited on me. She replied, "Yeah, he's having some problems tonight." I said perhaps someone should help him!!!
It's a good thing my food tasted ok. *growl*

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home