Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Anti-Ronald?

Perhaps it is intentional, or maybe simply coincidental that the current Burger King corporate "mascot" is the polar opposite of McDonald's world-famous, kid-favorite "Ronald McDonald." Ronald has entertained children for decades. His appearance is warm and friendly and small children seem automatically drawn to him even upon first encounter.

Burger King's "King" however, is simply disturbing. Frankly, he creeps me out. His fixed facial expression and lack of visible emotion are worthy of a Steven King novel or Clive Barker movie. How would you like to bump into this wacky-hair weirdo in an alley late at night? No thanks. And I'm certainly not compelled to patronize Burger King after viewing "King" in several different BK commercials in recent months. The more I see of him, the more I wonder, "What's the deal with this bizarre sandwich-selling psycho?

I cannot imagine any child not being totally traumatized upon a chance meeting with this apparently non-speaking "pitchman." (If he ever did speak I can only imagine the deep and demonic voice that would emerge.)

You won't hear me complaining if BK soon sends "King" to the land of long-forgotten and well-intentioned marketing mascots. In fact, instead, I would happily say, "Have it your way." But until they do, I'm keeping my hand on my remote, just in case ol' "King" comes a-callin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home