Friday, May 20, 2005

Cunning. Combat. Churchill.

Men have engaged in combat, mortal and not so much so, since virtually the beginning of the human race. What is it about physically and/or mentally engaging an opponent in combat or in sports that is so deliciously satisfying? Is it man's inherent survival instinct at its best? Perhaps. Winston Churchill reportedly once wrote that there was nothing quite so exhilarating as being shot at and missed.

Today, "Pistols at twenty paces" has thankfully evolved into many far less lethal exercises. Earlier this evening I had the richly rewarding experience of defeating two superiorly-experienced PlayStation gamers at Madden 2005. I will never play or coach in the NFL, therefore I must live vicariously through "arm-chair quarterbacking" and the occasional game of Madden football, played on my plasma TV.

While I am not for a moment equating this monumental moment with the all-time greatest upsets in sports to "The Miracle on Ice," Super Bowl III, Villanova's win over Georgetown, or even Seabiscuit defeating War Admiral, I am however, without reserve, going to taunt and torture these two individuals regarding this feat for many days to come. After all, they earned it and I have every right. Their boasting faded quickly into the night as they began to face the reality. Did I mention that I had only played two complete games of this type previously? It is true. That might explain the frowns on their respective faces as they fled quickly into the night. I may never beat them again, but for tonight, I rein supreme and it is good to be the King... It's the closest I shall ever come to winning a Super Bowl game and hopefully the closest I shall ever come to being shot at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home